11.27.2007

I-Heart-Movies

Sorry I’ve been away for so long. It’s been a busy month for me. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I enjoyed spending it with my family and the time I had away from work. I feel bad that I didn’t spend the time painting like I hoped I would, but the weather was too rainy for that anyway. One thing I was able to indulge myself in other than food was movie-watching…my favorite past-time! I made it out to see Beowulf, No Country for Old Men, and Lars and the Real Girl. Now, I’d love to tell you what I thought of each of them, but I’ll have you know that I’m a terrible reviewer. I can tell you if I liked the movie, but I don’t have any interesting background stories or references to give. So, if you’re still interested, here goes:


Beowulf
Recommended for: fans of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, grown-up animation, blood and gore
What I thought: So fun! This movie held my interest the entire time and sometimes it’s easier to watch animated blood and gore. Also, what’s the big deal about Angelina Jolie being naked in this movie? If you’ve ever seen Gia then you’ve already seen what she looks like (for real) naked. She has boobs; big deal.


No Country for Old Men
Recommended for: Texans and those who favor the Texas scenery. Fans of really dark comedy.
What I thought: Made me wistful for my small town relatives who’ve passed on, and – I can’t believe I’m thinking this – trips to Odessa, if only for the West Texas scenery. I couldn’t have loved Javier Bardem’s performance any more; such a terrific actor in the truest sense (also loved him in The Sea Inside). Great story, love the twists and turns and the whole ride and I appreciate movies that aren’t wrapped up in a neat little package. Also, I was shocked that Kelly MacDonald could pull of a Texan accent.


Lars and the Real Girl
Recommended for: the general “indie movie” audience
What I thought: it’s not a funny movie, but it has its funny moments. However, you don’t need to rely on those fleeting moments to enjoy this movie as long as you realize that its more drama than it is comedy (although the row of women sitting in front of me laughed the whole time. I think they were high). I admit it felt slightly irrational and it went a little too far at times, but nonetheless, I was impressed with the acting (specifically Ryan Gosling); I liked the tender moments.

Here’s a list of other movies I watched this year that I particularly enjoyed:
-Children of Men (why: this movie makes you think; and Clive Owen)
-Running with Scissors (why: great acting and soundtrack, love the dark comedy, based on a true story!)
-Half Nelson (great soundtrack - turned me on to Broken Social Scene; reminds you that we’re all human and fallible)
-Fast Food Nation (why: funny and entertaining, but you’ll think twice before you go out for a hamburger)
-28 Weeks Later (why: I’ll watch anything Danny Boyle is involved in; no-holds-barred when it comes to blood and guts, the acting and AWESOME soundtrack)

5 comments:

Bryan L said...

"reminds you that we’re all human and fallible"

Speak for yourself!!

BTW I didn't care for fast food nation. I kind of thought it sucked. It's like they came up with a message first and then tried to write a movie around it. It was disjointed and made it hard to really care about what was going on or happening to the different actors/actresses. Some of the scenes just felt pointless.

But that's just my opinion... which is infallible : )

-B

D E A N N A said...

disagreeing with others is like a hobby for you... ;)

Bryan L said...

I wish it were a profession then I could get paid for it. Stupid hobby!

Actually seriously though I agree with your comment on Half Nelson but it reminded me even more that our heroes and those we look up to are human and fallible and they have vices, weakness, things they are ashamed of and skeletons in their closets like everyone else and it's hard to deal with that when growing up as a child into an adult you being to realize that.

I don't think the point, though, is that they don't deserve to be heroes or people we look up to, but a realization that in spite of those things you can still rise above to do great things and really help people in this world and not let those negative things define you.

But again that just my infallible opinion. : )

-B

D E A N N A said...

I totally agree with you. about Half Nelson that is.

Unknown said...

Did you read Running with Scissors? If you haven't and want to borrow it let me know.
Vanessa