11.05.2007

Mock up craft room

So, I have some space at home where I can do all of my crafty little projects, but it needs to be beautified. Here's a little mock up of what I plan to do.



The folding table is something I already have. I would purchase that shelf and the shades from IKEA. I found that awesome MCM desk at a dumpster - I will put it to work as my sewing table. It's not in the best shape, but it has so much potential. I was thinking of painting it black (I changed the picture so you can see what it would look like). Is black a bad idea? The top of the table is laminate, but the rest is solid wood. I could always try to refinish the table, but what would I do about that top? In some of the vintage modern stores I frequent I've seen pieces painted black that look awesome.

Then there's the topic of fabric. IKEA is having a sale on Pernilla fabric this week only (11/5-11/9) for $4 a yard (reg. price $8). Below is the only option I like.

That's a pretty good deal and I would need about 10 yards to cover windows and whip up a make-shift room divider to block out noise. I'm worried that it's kind of ugly though. Be honest...is it? I like this IKEA fabric better, but it's twice the cost.



The good thing about the IKEA fabric (aside from the cost) is that its 59" wide and it's a heavy, durable cotton.

Oh, on the side there is some artwork by Matte Stephens that inspired my color choices. Isn't it great? It's so perfectly retro. The piece with the kitty is already in my collection (thanks to Chad & Julie) and I'd like to add the others. If you want to see more of his work check out his Etsy shop. It's also very affordable.

So...what do you think?

5 comments:

CK said...

i think BITCHIN.

Unknown said...

I love your idea of painting the desk black. What's wrong with the top? LOVE the Matte Stephens work but I am not crazy about the fabric. Sorry, D.

D E A N N A said...

I should have added that the yellowish color is the (planned) wall color, the white band is the trim that is already in place and the light brown is to mimic the color of our berber carpet.

V-The top of the desk is laminate (and in terrible shape), so either I need to replace it with a new piece of laminate or paint over the existing laminate. Painting is a lot easier, but I worry that I'm compromising the beauty of the desk.

CK said...

being the woodworking pro that i am now, you could buy some veneer first, then paint it maybe? that have a bunch of diff kinds at that woodcraft place. you might even be able to find a veneer to match, or maybe a contrasting veneer that could look equally as rad on the desk... maybe?

D E A N N A said...

Good idea CK. You got me thinkin'...