11.07.2007

Stuff your belly with this stuffing recipe


The other day, I made a batch of delicious cornbread stuffing for a Thanksgiving potluck at work. This recipe comes from my husband's side of the family. Specifically, it was his Grandfather's recipe. What is best about this recipe is that it's very forgiving if you don't like measuring things out, which I don't. It's extremely simple for such a grand taste.

Roughly, this recipe takes about an hour in cook/prep time and serves 6.

Ingredients:
1-box of cornbread mix (I like Jiffy - in the blue and white box) -- for this mix you will need additional ingredients, please check box.
1-6 ounce box of chicken flavored stuffing (I like Stove Top)
3-stalks of celery, chopped thin
half-large onion, chopped thin
1-16 ounce container of chicken stock/broth
1-stick of butter
Directions:
Start by preparing the cornbread as instructed on the box (grease the pan too). I use an average 9x9 baking dish. While the cornbread is baking, saute the chopped celery and onion in the stick of butter until fully cooked. The cornbread should be done or almost done baking by the time you are done cooking the vegetables. Don't turn off the oven, you will use it to bake the stuffing mixture. In a large bowl, add the sauted vegetables, the cornbread (break it up as you go), the stuffing mix and the chicken stock and mix well. (see pic)
Add back to the same pan you used to cook the cornbread and cook until there's are crunchy bits of golden brown stuffing here and there and on the side (see pic). My husband thinks you can even take it out before it gets too golden-brown - as he thinks it might dry out the stuffing.
My apologies if these directions are too vague -- I'm a bit tired right now. If you have any questions, just leave a comment. (snoooooooze....)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to make it! I will let you know how it turns out.
Love you!
V