10.29.2007

Don’t Stop Believin’

Just like everyone else, I hate dragging my butt to work on Monday morning. Luckily, for me (and anyone else listening this morning around 8am) KVRX (Gin & Tonic program) played the most hilarious/ingenious cover of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” that has left me with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. Petra Haden’s cover of Don’t Stop Believin’ is all a cappella and uses voices as instruments, very much like Bjork’s Medulla album, yet in the vein of the Dan Band’s cover of “Total Eclipse of the Heart” in the movie Old School. The song is one of many awesome covers on the recently released album titled Guilt by Association (various artists, on Engine Room records) and features (covers by) indie musicians & bands, like Devendra Banhart, Superchunk and Luna. They cite High School Musical, Mariah Carey and Paula Abdul as some of their cover influences. You can listen to the “Don’t Stop Believin’” cover on GbA's myspace page.



“Lets all wallow in our guilt and enjoy these remembered gems, indie-style.” -GbA

No comments: